Clarendon & Shrewsbury Cemetery Inscriptions

By Margaret R. Jenks ©2004

120 Pages, 26 Cemeteries, 8000 Names, Illustrations, Maps, Indexed

$23.00

SUMMARY:

Clarendon was granted by Governor Wentworth of New Hampshire on September 5, 1761 to Caleb Williams and others. At about the same time, Col. John Henry Lydius of Albany, New York granted much of the same land as a town called Durham. On April 3, 1771 Governor Dunmore of New York granted part of the same area as Socialborough. These three grants caused many problems for the settlers.

The old military road from Charlestown, New Hampshire to Crown Point runs through the area and was traveled by soldiers who later came to settle. Many of the early settlers fought in the Revolutionary War. The first settlers arrived from Connecticut and Rhode Island in 1768 and by 1791 there were 258 families in the town.

Shrewsbury was chartered on September 4, 1761 by Benning Wentworth, Governor of New Hampshire, to Samuel Ashley and sixty-three others. The town was organized on March 20, 1781. Most of the town lies in the Green Mountain range. The first settler was Capt. Lemuel White who came from Rockingham, Vermont in 1777. By 1791 there were 73 families in the town.

The book includes three maps, Rutland County, Clarendon, and Shrewsbury, showing the location of each cemetery. The East Clarendon Cemetery and Laurel Glen Cemetery were recorded in sections to facilitate locating a stone.

Included are all extant stones in the following Clarendon cemeteries:
CHIPPENHOOK CEMETERY                    EAST CLARENDON CEMETERY                    POTTER CEMETERY
HAVEN HILL CEMETERY                        SOUTH FLATS CEMETERY                           BUTTON-PRATT-SMITH CEMETERY
PARKER CEMETERY                              BRIGGS-CAVANAUGH CEMETERY                EDMUNDS CEMETERY
OLD MARSH CEMETERY                       SPAFFORD CEMETERY                                 WAIT CEMETERY
RUTLAND JEWISH CEMETERY               MATTESON CEMETERY                                TUBBS CEMETERY
DEAN CEMETERY

Included are all extant stones in the following Shrewsbury cemeteries:
LAUREL GLENN CEMETERY                  PLUMLEY-PAGE CEMETERY                          FINNEY CEMETERY
CENTER CEMETERY                             NORTHAM CEMETERY                                 COLBURN-TABOR CEMETERY
ETTA PIERCE STONE                           SHIPPEE FAMILY CEMETERY                          WOODWARD-WILDER CEMETERY
WILDER CEMETERY                             BULLARD CEMETERY

Top of Page