Pawlet Cemetery Inscriptions

by Margaret R. Jenks ©1996 Revised

74 + xiv Pages, 7 Cemeteries, 6000 Names, Maps, Indexed

$20.00

SUMMARY

The settlement of Pawlet was begun about 1768 by  Simon Burton and William Fairfield. A few of the earliest settlers had been in the area during the French and Indian War. They were soon followed by families from Connecticut and New York, including over seventy Revolutionary War soldiers. By 1791, there were 1,458 inhabitants in 249 families.

The Old Cemetery was laid off from the farm of John Cobb with the earliest stone, now illegible, dated 1776. The second cemetery, now called Blosson, is on land given by Caleb Allen for the burial of Revolutionary War Soldiers. Mountain View Cemetery in West Pawlet was set off before 1801 on land given by Seeley Brown.

The book included two maps, Rutland County and Poultney, showing the location of each cemetery. The Village Cemetery was recorded in sections to facilitate locating a stone.

Included are all extant stones in the following Pawlet cemeteries:
Old Pawlet Cemetery                                    Mettowee Valley Cemetery
Mountain View Cemetery, West Pawlet         Northeast Cemetery
Bardwell Cemetery                                        Blossom Cemetery
Hulett Cemetery

"Top of Page"