Pittsford & Proctor Cemetery Inscriptions

by Margaret R. Jenks ©1992

207 Pages, 9 Cemeteries, 10,500 Names, Illustrations, Maps, Indexed

$29.00

SUMMARY

Pittsford was granted to Ephraim Doolittle and sixty-three others by Governor Wentworth on the 12th of October, 1761. The name was derived from a fjord on Otter Creek named in honor of William Pitt, then Prime Minister of England. The first ren years of town records were destroyed by fire, so there is no record of when the town was organized or the early town officers. Gideon Cooley of Greenwich, MA was one of the first settlers. He had passed through the area during the French and Indian War. Seven families arrived in Pittsford in 1770 and before the Revolution there were over thirty families in the town. There are five cemeteries in Pittsford. One cemetery in Brandon has been included.

Proctor, the Marble Town, was incorporated in 1886 from parts of Rutland and Pittsford and named for Redfield Proctor, founder of the Vermont Marble Company. The original village was called Sutherland Falls. Otter Creek runs through the area. Marble workers emigrated from Russia, Poland, Hungary, Sweden, Italy, and other countries to work in the quarries and carve the marble. There are three cemeteries in the town.

The book included three maps, Rutland County, Pittsford, and Proctor, showing the location of each cemetery. The Pittsford Evergreen Cemetery and the Proctor South Street Cemetery were recorded in sections to facilitate locating a stone.

Included are all extant stones in the following Pittsford cemeteries:
Old Baptist Cemetery                            Old Congregational Cemetery          Evergreen Cemetery
Saint Alphonsus Catholic Cemetery      East Pittsford Cemetery                    Noyes-Hurlbut Cemetery
Old Florence Cemetery                         Fort Vengeance Monument

Included are all extant stones in the following Proctor cemeteries:
Riverside Cemetery                               South Street Cemetery                      Saint Dominick's Catholic Cemetery

"Top of Page"